Angelica-ConstantDreamer.blogspot.com

My photo
Bronx, NY, United States
the not so random thoughts that flow through my mind?

Friday, February 1, 2008

Media and Tattoos


Once again I find myself unable to sleep. The time on this blog is incorrect it is currently 3:39 am. Well I have been thinking about ideas for a film for one of my classes. I have come upon the topic of tattoos. I have always been fascinated by tattoos. They are permanent marks which many would say ruins the human body. I have three tattoos which are on my arms.



It is interesting how there are many media portrayals of tatoos. There are Tattoo magazines, LA Ink, Miami Ink, and the latest London Ink reality tv shows. The tv shows focus on tattoo artist and the clients whom they tattoo. When watchng the show one is not just viewing the way in which a tattoo is made, one is viewing an artwork and the story that has produced the specfic piece of art.

What can be a topic to focus on if I was to attempt to produce a film based on tattoos?

I guess stereotypes may be a key. It seems as if there are many ways in which individuals view tattoos. FASCINATION/DISCUSS?? A question of WHY MARK YOUR BODY?






Placement of tatoos can also be an interesting discussion. Is the tattoo for show if it is on the lower back? When do people usually get a tattoo, is it to relieve stress, is it to get through a hardship, or was it just a dare during a drunken night?


For me tattoos become an expression. In life everyone is marked by hardships. These hardships become scars that are permanent. One is unable to forget about this "scar". My tattoos are an outlet and a retalliation. It is a challenge against the "higher power". It is my way of saying "I am tired of your scars. I control my body and these are the scars that I want. They are beautiful. permanent, and represent who I am. Because no matter what I am in control of my life."





The media portrayal of many things are important. It can help shed light on a specific topic. These tv shows and magazines can either break a stereotype or feed a stereotype.

No comments: